Sunday, May 11, 2008

It's time for me to accept that I'm just evil.

(I shouldn't use that subject line the same day I do a religious rant. Ah well.)

I decided to try making a Dobby-style sockmark, which is a bookmark with miniature socks at the ends. Guess what colors I used.
sockmark01
Slytherin. (That's green on there. Really. Stupid indoor lighting.)

The baby Draco sweater's coming along.
dracobabysweater03
Slytherin again.

On the planned list is a Weasley Sweater Cell Phone cozy. Only I don't care for the Gryffindor theme, so when I make it with a "K", what color scheme will it be in?
Slytherin.

Of course, I had to get worsted weight yarn for that, and I'll only need a little. And I also need two colors of worsted yarn for the squid I'm going to make, and there's no sense being wasteful, so what color scheme will my squid have?
Slytherin.

OK, I like the idea of the Slytherin squid. But I still think it's time for me to just accept that I'm evil.
Actually, I'm not evil  I'm ambitious and clever. :)

Actually, if you went by personality, I'd be a solid Ravenclaw. But bronze does not look good on redheads with classic Celt coloring. (And I thought the change to silver in the movies was a cop out.) Likewise, red and gold is right out, and yellow-black not much better. But green, green I can wear. Green I look fabulous in. Green and gold is better, but silver'll work OK.

That little sockmark thing is far more evil than you'd ever guess. Ignore it's size; that bugger has a LOT of stitches on tiny needles. The thing is an absolute hand-killer, too. I don't know if it's because I'm using metal needles, or because there's so much extra needle compared to the stitches on each, or the low number of stitches that doesn't give me a lot of working room to begin with, or what, but it'll make you stiff fast. This little guy is a good reason to practice project polygamy, so when your fingers can't take him anymore, you switch to something with bigger needles you can actually get a grip on.

I am also sooo sick of working on the baby Draco sweater. No more baby shower knits unless it's for someone I know well and really like, or it's quick socks or a bib or something. I've got one more sleeve, and two rounds of stockinette stitch on the body bottom. Then I'm going to neaten up the color joins on the side and do a border of two garter stitch ridge along the fronts and around the collar, then return to the bottom and do a similar garter stitch border there. The ideal thing would be to do the bottom and sides at the same time, but I don't have a circular needle that long, and I don't care about this project enough to go buy one. I'd like to just leave the side of the fronts as they are, but they look very unfinished in person. I think the garter stitch border will be a big improvement if I can figure out the right number of stitches to pick up for it.

No comments: