Sunday, April 25, 2010

Excited nerd sketch

I'm working on rebuilding and improving the shaders* for the little Pysanky bunny-egg thing I did at Easter.  So far I've got the ears.

Ear Comparison


So why am I excited about the ears?  After all, they look basically the same.  Well, let me do some isoteric babbling that most people won't understand.  There's an important difference here.  The model on the left, I remapped so that the inner ear could be a different material than the outer ear.  On the model on the right, that's all done with a single shader that contains both the satin and the velvet.  It takes 9 extra nodes to do it just for this relatively simple case and would be more or less insane to assemble in Poser itself.

Luckily, someone built a compiler that lets you write materials in Python code, and then translates them into Poser nodes.  I'm working on learning it, and trying to learn shaders as well.  It allows you to combine separate materials into a single shader fairly easily, which will be even cooler for more complex situations.


* Properly speaking, they're actually materials.  Shaders are the pre-existing nodes they're built out of.  But that gets confused with the laymen definition of material, which would view the satin and the velvet separately.

No comments: