Thursday, February 28, 2008

Oh no. "Snap"? Pens aren't supposed to go "Snap".

And yet snap it did. Last time we were at an antique mall, I picked up a Cub Scout fountain pen. Yeah, Boy Scouts. Sac felt good, so I filled it up with obscenely bright pink ink and tried it out for a while. Nib actually isn't that great. Folded tipping. It feels pretty smooth, and it has a nifty stub effect, but the ink flow isn't so good. Well, got sick of it, decided to empty out the last three drops (I counted) of ink left and rinse it out. While doing that, the sac didn't seem to be re-inflating as quickly as it should, so I thought I should maybe resac it after all. Only, I tried to take the section off, and that bugger is NOT coming. Heat didn't do it, section pliers didn't budge it, and I didn't want to risk breaking it because I plan to resell this pen. (Or, if no one will pay the price I want, keep filling it with painfully girly colors. :) )

So, I decided to just finish rinsing it out, and warn potential buyers that it may need a resac soon. Only as I was filling, "Snap!" The J-bar broke! Right in the pen! Just snapped right under the lever while I was filling it! The thing is, it doesn't look rusted or anything. I do hope it's not a design flaw. It does seem like the lever might be longer than it should be.
...
Although, if the sac is going bad, it may have hardened more near the nipple, where I can't feel it. Maybe the J-bar's end was getting held up there, and so the sac was pushing it down into a bow shape.

I may actually send this one out for professional repair. When I get my vacuum filler back from Binder, I was going to send it to Dillo, so I'm thinking I'll send this along. He'll have more experience with really stuck sections, and he can adjust the nib while it's there, too.
Of course, if I'm going to do that, I'm half tempted to send along a nicer nib if I have one the right size, and have him put it in. ^_~

No comments: