Monday, March 24, 2008

Dear Knitting Drawer

It's no use hiding them from me. I know, for a fact, that I have a 5-needle set of US4 Crystal Palace bamboo double-pointed needles, because I drove all the way to our not-terribly-local yarn store specifically to buy them and a matching circular for this bizarre baby sweater. So you might as well cough 'em up.

You know what makes me sad? Casein is too brittle to make circular needles. Actually, let's get more basic than that. It makes me sad that casein is brittle, period. I've had the tips of double-points break in my bag. That's sad. I love casein needles. But I love working on circular needles FAR more than straights, so I only get to use casein on small projects (suitable for 8 inch straights or all on double-points.)

When I can't get those, bamboo's a good second. Wood's nice, too, but the small sizes feel more brittle. And Bunny (Angelina, one of my cats) has eaten wooden needles before. Of course, last night..

OK, last night, I finish up the knitting on the body of the baby sweater, get it taken off the needles. Needles are on the arm of the couch, all my stitch markers on the side table, and a fountain pen is on the notebook on the couch beside me. I leave the room for FIVE MINUTES, and when I come back, Bunny and Keiko (another cat) are playing with my needles in the kitchen, all my stitch markers are on the living room carpet, and my fountain pen is behind the couch! Don't think I don't know who's responsible for that, Demon-Klepto-Bunny!

She didn't chew on the needles, though. She was still busy playing with the cord.
She tries to eat the casein needles, too. Although being made of a milk protein, I guess that's to be expected.

P.S. I did find my bamboo double points. They were, interestingly enough, in my nicer double-point case. (Yes, I have two double-point cases. Maybe more.)

P.S.S. Yes, I really do have a knitting drawer. Well, there's some crochet stuff in there, too. And some Kumihimo stuff I haven't tried for want of a real braiding stand.

No comments: