Wednesday, March 5, 2008

*does the Happy Djinn dance*

Buttloads of pen-related toys arrived today. I had orders to both Pendemonium and Pear Tree, and they both came in. I've now quadrupled my supply of bottled Waterman ink (from 1 bottle to 4), which is nice because I like to use Waterman for a pen's first fill and I don't like to have the same color going in more than one pen at once. I like to change which color I write my story in each day so I can tell what I did when. Not that I really have a deep need to know what I did when, but it's nice to be able to.
And a nice bottle of Magenta from Rohrer & Klingner, which I'll probably load up one of my Kulturs with and try tonight.
And a couple of insanely fine Platinum Preppies and a fountain pen ink fed rollerball. I'm hoping one of those will be able to pwn the cheap paper we use at work.

Most importantly, though, my new customized nib from Pendemonium arrived, and that's what's got me doing the happy dance! Yes! THIS is what I tried to order from Binder almost two months ago now. Now, I haven't done a full day's story writing with it and won't get to until tomorrow or Friday, but just testing it out, it feels so smooth! There may be a little less variation than the Binder nib, but it's also usable. And as an extra perk, it cost $40 as opposed to $70.
I'll give an updated opinion in a few days after I've put it through its paces.

Oh, BTW, the Falcon arrived... Monday. It's not quite what I expected. I knew it wouldn't be a highly flexible nib, but I expected it to feel somewhat like a sweet little BCHR I have. That little guy doesn't have any line variation to speak of, but the nib is rather springy, maybe even spongy. The Falcon right out of the box felt rather stiff. However, that seems to be loosening up a little as I use it. The fine nib is also VERY fine. At the same time, though, I don't want to go up to a medium because it would be almost twice as large according to Mottishaw's page, and that would be too big. It is very smooth, though.
Overall opinion: Well, I'm not sure what to say about it, except I find that I keep wanting to go back and use it some more. :)

No comments: