Saturday, March 22, 2008

OK, where can I steal a baby?

I'm getting back into the knitting thing, and I'm one row away from finishing the body of a baby sweater I had started during the last go. I'm going to have a metric buttload of the yarn left over, so I thought it'd be cute to make a matching pair of socks and maybe mitts. (There should already be a hat running around here -- that's how I did my gauge swatch -- but I think I might have lost it.)

The thing is, the yarn is already set, and I don't like torturing it to match a pre-existing pattern gauge. This may sound geeky or pretentious or just plain weird, but I actually somewhat dislike row-by-row patterns for just that reason. Sometimes you need them, when there's complex shaping or patterning or just plain fiddly stuff. But I'm looking for basic toe-up socks here. Hell, I know how to make socks (well, know where to look it up), but I need to know how big a baby's foot is. I've got some baby feetie jammies running around, I guess I can use those, but I'm afraid I'll end up with huge socks that way since feetie jammies are looser. I wonder if I can find a size chart with length and circumference somewhere.

...

Nope, best I found find was a pattern that gave both for one size, and a chart of foot lengths. :P Damn, babies have big feet.
See, this is why I need to borrow a baby for a minute. Actually, I wish an actual life-sized baby doll was sold at toy prices (rather than collector prices), because that would be perfect for this stuff. Maybe I should try making Runo's baby doll sometime. That just seems like an awful lot of work, though.

Oh well, if I make them too big, the kid will grow into them eventually, right?

[And no, I can't just borrow the baby I'm making this stuff for, because it's baby shower and charity stuff.]

Now, mittens. That might be harder to find a size for. (But admit it, the bunny mittens here are cute!)

No comments: